In a sit-down interview with Collider for their yearlong IMAX screening series, Director Francis Lawrence talks Mockingjay: Part 2, along with an in-depth discussion on The Hunger Games franchise, adaptation, filming and lots more.
We learn a lot of interesting tidbits:
- Due to the abruptness, there will be no one-cut movie combining Mockingjay Part 1 and 2, as had been rumors for a while.
- When and if there’s an ultimate Blu-Ray/DVD set, Francis imagines he’ll be adding extra/additional stuff on them (yay!)
- The least amount of deleted scenes are from Part 2. Francis describes one of the deleted scenes at the beginning of the movie, at the Squad 451 meeting: Katniss has a video-conference with Haymitch.
- Francis wanted Bonnie and Twill in Catching Fire, but it felt like a diversion from the narration.
- Francis, like Natalie Dormer earlier, says the prequels should come from Suzanne Collins. He says that without Katniss, these movies would be tricky. According to him, “They are anti-war movies, anti-violence movies. To then go and just start doing movies about arena feels off to me.”
Watch the full video below: